Kansas State makes final decision on Jerome Tang's future
· Yahoo Sports
Kansas State makes final decision on Jerome Tang's future originally appeared on The Sporting News. Add The Sporting News as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
Visit catcross.org for more information.
Jerome Tang is out as the head men’s basketball coach at Kansas State Wildcats, according to a report Sunday from Field of 68’s Jeff Goodman. This move ends a rough four-year tenure in Manhattan.
Tang and K-State part ways despite a reported $18 million buyout. Multiple reports indicated the two sides remain in discussion regarding the financial terms of the separation.
The Wildcats (10-15, 1-11 Big 12) have lost seven consecutive games and 11 of their last 12, falling into a tie for last place in the conference standings. The 78-64 road loses to No. 3 Houston marked the program’s latest setback in a season that unraveled quickly after conference play began.
Following a blowout defeat earlier in the week, Tang openly criticized his team’s effort.
“This was embarrassing. These dudes did not deserve to wear this uniform,” Tang said. “I’m embarrassed for the university, I’m embarrassed for our fans.”
Tang burst onto the national scene by guiding Kansas State to the Elite Eight in 2022-23. But the program failed to sustain that momentum. The Wildcats were eliminated in the first round of the NIT in 2024, missed the NCAA Tournament in 2025 and appeared headed for another absence this season.
More: How long is UNC's Caleb Wilson out? Recovery time offers clue on NCAA tournament return
Tang finishes with a 71-57 overall record. Kansas State has struggled to regain long-term stability since Bruce Weber’s departure. They'll look toward making another hire in the midst of a roller coaster time in college athletics.
More college basketball news:
- Hubert Davis buyout, contract details as UNC Tar Heels coach
- 'Basketball Saved My Life': Why Master P came home to rebuild New Orleans
- Bruce Pearl sends warning to NBA teams about Kansas' Darryn Peterson
- Why FOX blocked St. John’s from participating in a major college basketball event
- John Calipari says college athletics is broken — Here’s his plan to fix It