US government tells DR Congo how long they must isolate before they’re allowed to enter for World Cup
· Yahoo Sports
DR Congo’s World Cup preparations have been handed a strict condition by United States officials before the 2026 tournament in the United States, Mexico and Canada.
The squad have been told they must isolate for 21 days before they will be allowed to enter the United States.
Visit saltysenoritaaz.com for more information.
That is a severe requirement before any major tournament. It may be understandable on public health grounds, but it still leaves DR Congo with one of the most awkward World Cup build-ups any qualified side could face.
DR Congo must isolate for 21 days before entering the US
The requirement comes because of the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo. US officials have informed FIFA, the Congolese national team and the government in Kinshasa that the squad must maintain a bubble in Belgium, where players are currently training.
Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, said DR Congo must maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can travel to Houston on June 11.
That is the key point. DR Congo are not simply dealing with advice or a loose recommendation.
Giuliani also said the Congolese government had been told that the squad must maintain the bubble or risk not being able to travel to the United States.
The rule may be understandable but it still leaves DR Congo in a difficult place
The public health context is serious. The World Health Organisation listed 82 confirmed cases and seven confirmed deaths in DR Congo, with almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths.
The outbreak has been caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola. That makes the US position easy to understand, even if the sporting consequences are heavy.
A World Cup squad normally wants rhythm, routine and freedom before a tournament. DR Congo now have to protect a health bubble before they can fully enter tournament mode.
That is not a small inconvenience. It affects preparation, travel planning, recovery, media duties and the basic freedom of the squad in the final stretch before the World Cup.
DR Congo’s rare World Cup return now depends on keeping the bubble intact
The timing makes this even more significant. DR Congo are due to be based in Houston during the tournament.
They are scheduled to play their first Group K match against Portugal in Houston on June 17.
This is also not an ordinary World Cup appearance for DR Congo. FIFA notes that it will be only their second World Cup, after the country appeared as Zaire in 1974.
That history matters. A team returning to the biggest stage after more than five decades should be building towards the tournament with clarity and focus.
Instead, DR Congo’s immediate priority is compliance. Their World Cup route is open, but only if the bubble remains intact.
FIFA cannot treat this as ordinary tournament preparation
The US has set the entry condition, and health has to come first. That does not mean the football impact should be ignored.
FIFA cannot treat this like standard tournament logistics. DR Congo need clear support around travel, training, medical monitoring and communication.
The requirement is not unfair simply because it is strict. But it is clearly disruptive, and it places an unusual burden on a squad preparing for a historic tournament.
DR Congo’s path to Houston now depends on something few World Cup teams ever have to do. They must stay sealed inside a 21-day bubble before they can even reach their base.
Read more: